At Really Spicy Opera, we work to provide the best possible working environment for all employees, performers, contractors, volunteers, and other associates that we work with. This working environment requires that all personnel both offer and be treated with respect.
All employees have a right to a working environment that is respectful, considerate, dignified, and non-sexualized. As such, every personnel member, from the top to the bottom, is charged with treating their colleagues with dignity and respect. Threatening, aggressive, or bullying behavior is not allowed. Verbal, electronic, and sexual harassment are strictly prohibited. Harassment based on gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation is neither welcome nor permissible in our working and artistic spaces – legally, morally, and practically.
It is the responsibility of all members of the Really Spicy Opera family to uphold and maintain our working environment. If in doubt, report your concerns.
As stated by the Equal Opportunity Commission,
It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.
Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.
Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex.
Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).
The harasser can be the victim’s supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.
As stated by the United Nations Women Watch,
Some examples of physical conduct of a sexual nature, which, if unwanted and unwelcome, may constitute sexual harassment include touching, patting, pinching or any other unsolicited physical contact. Verbal conduct of a sexual nature may include unwelcome verbal advances, sexually oriented comments about physical appearance, requests for sexual favors and continued suggestions for private social activity after it has been made clear that such requests and suggestions are unwelcome.
Offensive verbal conduct could also include jokes of a sexual nature, offensive flirtation or lewd remarks, comments on a person’s sexual orientation, or remarks of a sexual nature, such as expressions of sexual interest that are addressed directly to the person. Non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature may include the display of sexually suggestive pictures, objects or written materials, or sexually suggestive gestures.
- We encourage everyone to report instances of seual harassment and encourage their peers to do the same.
- If you feel comfortable doing so, we encourage you to first address any concerns with the individual(s) involved. If you are not comfortable doing so, or if this does not resolve any concerns, we encourage you to report the incident to us.
- Individuals will not be penalized for reporting instances of harassment and related concerns.
- Incidents should be reported by contacting the Managing Associate via email or in writing to set up an initial consultation.
- All reported concerns and incidents will be investigated and followed up on.
- We will keep a log of incidents reported to us. The purpose of this log is to identify any patterns of behavior requiring mediative actions.
- If any stage any stage of this process follows a standard grievance process, or if a case of gross misconduct should be identified, that procedure will apply and be acted on.
All reports of harassment and bullying incidents or concerns will be treated with the greatest possible confidentiality, subject to the requirements of a fair and appropriate investigation.
It is the specific policy of Really Spicy Opera that all persons reporting harassment and bullying incidents or concerns will be exempt from retaliation. In order to create a better working environment for all, we encourage individuals with concerns to report them, even if they are unclear as to whether or not a “reportable” incident has occurred.