Thanks to generous support from the U.S. Department of State and the Fulbright Program, Really Spicy Opera toured Madagascar in June 2022. The tour included performances and other programming at schools, orphanages, and community centers, providing first-time live opera experiences to hundreds of Malagasy residents at each engagement. A sold-out, standing room-only run of performances and presentations in Antsirabe (Madagascar’s second-largest city) and Antananarivo (the capital and largest city) capped off the tour.
More than 99.5% of polled audience members said that Really Spicy Opera was their first live opera experience.
- A capacity-building partnership with Malagasy vocal ensemble iCanto.
- A joint concert with iCanto for the ensemble’s 10th anniversary.
- Collaborative operations with the St. Paul Orphanage.
- Joint performances with several Malagasy music ensembles.
- Material donations to four Malagasy arts organizations.
- Outreach lectures on American music.
- School and community performances.
- Study abroad and musical career advising.
- Teacher training workshops.
- Vocal and choral master classes.