Auditions for Rigoletto
- What: One of the great operatic classics. A tale of philandering, revenge, and sacrifice set to a soaringly beautiful score by Giuseppe Verdi.
- Super-Short Story: The womanizing Duke of Mantua seduces Gilda, the daughter of his right hand man Rigoletto. Rigoletto, who has previously mocked the aggrieved parents of the Duke’s lovers, plans a terrible revenge. Add an assassin, a rival or two for the Duke’s affections, and some old-fashioned karma biting Rigoletto in the butt and the stage is set for one of opera’s great tragedies.
- Who: principals and chorus Note: The part of Gilda has been cast.
- Rigoletto (baritone)
- Duke of Mantua (tenor)
- Sparafucile (bass)
- Maddalena (contralto)
- Giovanna (mezzo-soprano)
- Count Ceprano (bass)
- Countess Ceprano (mezzo-soprano)
- Matteo Borsa (tenor)
- Count Monterone (baritone)
- Marullo (baritone)
- Court Usher (open voice type)
- Page (mezzo-soprano)
- When: Auditions: Saturday, 2/13, from 10 AM-3 PM
- Rehearsal dates:
- Nights and weekends in May 2016
- Principal rehearsals will be scheduled separate from chorus rehearsals; we are generally happy to tweak the schedule to accommodate other commitments
- Mandatory Technical & Dress Rehearsals:
- Tuesday, 5/24/16; Tuesday, 5/31/16; Wednesday, 6/1/16
- Performance dates:
- Friday, 6/3/16 @ 7:30 PM
- Saturday, 6/4/16 @ 7:30 PM
- Sunday, 6/5/16 @ 2 PM
- Rehearsal dates:
- Rehearsals will take place at Lake of the Isles Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. This location is less than 3 miles from downtown Minneapolis and accessible by car, bicycle, and public transportation.
- Performances will take place at the historic Capri Theater in Minneapolis. This location is also close to downtown Minneapolis and accessible by car, bicycle, and public transportation.
- What’s In It For You:
- A stipend (more information)
- 1:1 coachings (chorus members included)
- Copies of any recordings
- Professionally done photographs
- Increased stipend if you understudy
In-Person/Traditional auditions will be held at Lake of the Isles Lutheran Church on Saturday, February 13, from 10 AM to 3 PM. An accompanist will be provided.
To sign up for an audition, please send an email to spicyopera @ gmail.com with the following information:
- A current copy of your artist resume required
- A current digital headshot photo required
- Your availability within the audition window required
Once we have received your information, we will respond within 24 hours with a confirmation and your audition timeslot.
For the audition itself, please prepare two opera arias, to include:
- One piece in Italian
- One piece that you feel strongly shows off your voice
Arias from Rigoletto are strongly encouraged. Any callbacks, if necessary, will take place during the general audition window the same day (February 13).